Nucleation is the first step in the formation of either a new thermodynamic phase or a new structure via self-assembly or self-organization. This is the same type of reaction used in creating clouds, rock candy, and borax crystals. This process of turning a liquid into a solid is an exciting project with a bit of magic! Track your finding and as always ask lots of questions.
You will need:
- 4 Cups of White Vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons of Baking Soda
- A Pot
- A glass measuring cup or mason jar
- A dish
- A spoon
- Measure out 4 cups of vinegar and pour it into your pot
- Next measure out 4 Tablespoons of baking soda and very slowly add it to the vinegar
- Stir your solution until the baking soda dissolves and it stops bubbling
- Place your pot on the stove and heat over medium low for a little over an hour, once you see little white crystal forming on the side of the pan take your solution off the heat and carefully pour into your measuring cup. Scrape some of the white crystals from the side of your pan and set aside.
- place your measuring cup in the refrigerator for approximately 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes your solution will be cool enough to create your hot ice. Place your small pile of white crystals on a glass baking dish (this will activate the reaction) and very slowly pour your solution over it. You will instantly see crystals forming, the slower you pour the higher your ice “mountain” will grow!
*The ice looks cold but will feel hot to touch, it is safe to touch and break, but make sure your little one keeps their hands out of their eyes and mouth. Once you play with it you can melt it down and do the experiment again, and again!
We found this awesome project at: playdoughtoplato.com
Ask your child lot’s of questions about the experiment, if you have done the Getting Fizzy with it experiment they should have an idea of what happens when you mix vinegar and baking soda. This is a great experiment to expand their thinking and demonstrate how familiar ingredients can create an entirely new reaction! Don’t forget to post your experience on our Facebook page.
AsheBridge Children’s Academy offers quality preschool education for our communities in Apex, Cary, Fuquay, Holly Springs, Angier, and surrounding areas. Contact us today to learn about all the fun things that set us apart from the other daycare and childcare centers.