It’s never too soon to practice proper oral hygiene!
Did you know that dental cavities are the most common chronic childhood disease? Not only that, but oral diseases can lead to problems with eating, speaking, learning & self confidence. Parents should be sure to see a pediatric dentist with their child as early as one year old. Pediatric Dentists focus on the physical and psychological needs of the young child. Even if your little one doesn’t have teeth, proper gum care can make a difference in your child’s over all health. We hope these tips below will help you make the best plans for your child’s Dental Health!
- Parents should clean infant’s gums with a water soaked baby washcloth. this will stimulate gums and remove food.
- Begin brushing when the baby’s first teeth appear around 6 months. Use a small soft brush with a pea size amount of fluoride tooth paste. Brush gently to inhibit tooth decay and plaque build up.
- Letting a baby fall asleep with a milk, formula, or juice bottle can lead to decay when the liquids stay in contact with the teeth for prolonged periods. If you must give a baby a bottle to fall asleep, make it water instead.
- Schedule Baby’s first dentist appointment around one year of age, pediatric dentists have the knowledge and expertise to make it a positive experience.
- At 2 to 3 years old begin to teach proper brushing technique. You will need to supervise brushing & flossing until the child is 6 or 7 years old and dexterity improves to the point where they can do it on their own.
- Children should brush their teeth at least twice per day (morning & night) and floss daily. Brushing immediately after meals is always a good idea when possible.
- Parents should also encourage proper dental care throughout the teen years, also avoiding pop, sugary drinks, and candy that sticks to teeth.
- Dental sealants and fluoride treatments can eliminate 95% of all cavities.
- Be sure to make plans to have your child seen by a dentist regularly so they can partner with you to ensure the best possible dental health for your child.
AsheBridge Children’s Academy offers quality preschool education for our communities in Apex, Cary, Fuquay, Holly Springs, Angier, and surrounding areas. Contact us today to learn about all the fun things that set us apart from the other daycare and childcare centers.